Sunday, July 6, 2008

Enmeshment Produces Guilt and Anxiety



-->
From “The Emotional Incest Syndromeby Patricia Love with Jo Robinson.

The Guilt and Anxiety of the Chosen Child
(The child within a relationship of enmeshment with a parent.)

From pages 33 – 38:

(BUY THE BOOK if you find this relevant to you!
This is a gross condensing of the main points of the text!)

Guilt

“I feel responsible for everything that happens around me – especially when things go wrong. I feel especially guilty when other people are unhappy. I'm sure I must have done something wrong or failed to do something I was supposed to do.”

For some people, the single world GUILT sums up the negative consequences of growing up with an Invasive Parent. Depending on their circumstances, they can fell guilty for one or more of a number of reasons, including: taking a parent away from a partner, winning out over siblings, failing to live up to a parent's expectations, wanting to break away from an overbearing parent,and participating in a love triangle when they were “old enough to know better.”